This Easy Apple Streusel Muffins Recipe is really delicious recipe to make and eat. It doesn’t take very long to peel a few apples – the recipe it’s very simple and quick to bake, which makes it perfect for a mid morning snack or afternoon treat!
Depending on what apples you use you might get a different flavour. I like to use green apples most of the time, because they have a sharp taste and stay firmer than other types of apples. You are welcome to use any type of apple you like, but I would avoid using cooking apples, as these disintegrate completely when you bake them. You want to make sure your apple muffins have a bit of a bite to them!
There are also plenty of variations of this recipe. You can easily add small handful of raisins to the muffin batter for extra sweetness or you can add mixed spice to the cinnamon mix for extra flavour.
These apple muffins freeze easily and can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. Defrost them overnight and warm up in the oven for 5 minutes on 180C.
If you choose to keep them instead of freezing them on the day, they will easily last 3-4 days, but I have to say that in our house they seem to disappear overnight!
Extra tips for making apple streusel muffins
Which apples are the best for apple muffins?
Firmer green apples, such as Granny Smith are perfect for this recipe as they have the right balance of sweetness and juiciness.
Do you need to keep apple muffins in the fridge?
No, you don’t need to keep your apple muffins in fridge, but they should be kept in room temperature in an airtight container.
Are apple muffins healthy?
Like with any cake, muffins should be a treat and should not replace a meal. Saying that, this recipe contains 2 medium size apples, which makes these muffins healthier than most. If you are worried about your sugar intake, you can leave out the sugary topping.
More baking recipes
Apple Streusel Muffins Recipe
- 280 g plain flour or 2 cups
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- large pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 300 ml milk or 1 & 1/4 of cups
- 125 g light brown sugar or 1/2 cup
- 75 g unsalted butter or 1/3 cup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 apples medium size, can be unpeeled, but cored and coarsely grated (or chopped in small pieces)
- 60 g brown sugar 1/4 cup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate blow, whisk together the sugar with softened butter, then add the egg, milk and vanilla essence.
- Stir the grated apples to the egg mixture.
- Pour the wet batter into the dry ingredients, stirring slowly, until just combined. Don't overmix it at this stage.
- Spoon the muffin batter into 12 large muffin cases or greased and lined large muffin tin.
- Mix together the remaining sugar and cinnamon to make the streusel topping and sprinkle it on to the muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven (180C or 370 F) for about 20 minutes, until the top of the muffins spring back when lightly touched and wooden skewer comes out clean.