This is one of the easiest waffle recipes I’ve tried and one that I use pretty much every time I want to make waffles for breakfast. This is a really simple recipe to follow and once you master the basics, you can start experimenting with the recipe.
I like to swap around the flour for wholemeal or spelt flour (just add a little bit more baking powder to counteract the fact that you are not using self-raising flour.
Buttermilk makes this recipe totally amazing, but if you are on a budget or you can’t find buttermilk in your food shop, just use normal milk. The buttermilk makes these waffles extra buttery, but of course, it also adds calories!
Hope you enjoy making this one!
Simple Waffle Recipe
- waffle irons or waffle maker
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 90 grams unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First of all swich on your waffle maker or get your waffle irons ready. Brush the waffle irons with light vegetable oil (or butter)
- Mix the flour, baking soda, sugar and pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix all the liquid ingredients together – eggs, melted butter, buttermilk and vanilla essence. Very carefully add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, one third at the time and make sure you whisk it in between. Leave the waffle mixture to rest for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Using a non-stick ladle, pour enough of the batter to your waffle maker and firmly close. Turn around in 2 minutes or so and carry on cooking. Take the waffle out when it's golden and light in colour.