I highly recommend these amazing waffles to people who are not gluten intolerant. These waffles are as delicious as if they were baked with ‘real’ flour if not better!
I find that baking with gluten free flour makes the waffles or cakes easier to digest and much lighter than baking with regular flour. You can enjoy such gluten free baking every weekend without any guilt!
You can use any gluten free flour for this recipe, just make sure that the quantities ad up. If you are using gluten free flour without any binding ingredients a teaspoon of xanthan gum helps to hold the flours together.
It works in the same way as a gluten does. This is particularly useful if your waffle irons are a little older and the batter sticks to it. If the batter is little firmer (by using the xantham gum) you’ll find the waffles come off easier.
I also find that I make a bigger batch than I need and then I freeze the waffles in multiple of two. This way, it takes next to no time to have my morning waffle fix, I just need to reach out for the freezer!
Gluten Free Waffles
- 1 cup brown rice or rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch (NOT Potato Flour)
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 eggs optional
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- Mix all ingredients together with a whisk, and pour into waffle iron, in batches.
- Add a bit more milk if too thick or a bit of rice flour if too runny.
- Can be made without eggs, if necessary; just add a little more liquid to make up for them.