If you’re slicing meat in the kitchen then most likely you’ll need the best butcher knife. Generally, a butcher knife weighs more compared to a chef’s knife. Additionally, it features a curved blade which is excellent for slicing thick cuts of meat. Most butcher knives have a resemblance on scimitar knife.
Butcher knives have a unique blade shape. The end is a bit wider, which is perfect for cutting, slicing and chopping meats. In purchasing a butcher knife, always ensure that the blade has a high content of carbon-steel so that it will be sharp enough for cutting meats for on the outdoor bbq. Also, a forged butcher knife is more durable and heavier than a stamped steel.
Another important consideration is the handle. Since you will be slicing meat then it is important to have textured handles in order to obtain excellent grip especially since you will be working in a wet environment. The handle should have a comfortable shape and large enough, allowing you to make different hand positions.
Best Butcher Knife
Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Butcher Knife
High carbon stainless-steel blade, patented Fibrox handles
Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory Butcher Knife
Built with quality material and craftsmanship, made in the USA
Dexter-Russell S112-10PCP Butcher Knife
With straight edge stainless steel blade, pointed tip, plastic handle
Dick Ergogrip 10″ Butcher Knife
Stainless steel blade, durable, well balance and very comfortable
Rada Cutlery R109 Old Fashioned Butcher Knife
Stainless steel blade, lifetime guarantee, made in the USA
Wusthof Pro 10 Inch Butcher Knife
Made of high carbon steel, stain free blade, black poly handle
Global GF-27 7-inch Butcher's Knife
CROMOVA stainless steel blade, stainless-steel handles
Butcher Knives Reviewed
1. Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Straight Butcher Knife
Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Straight Butcher Knife is a popular choice of professional butchers. It uses a high carbon stainless steel blade that provides ultimate sharpness and edge retention. This knife features a patented Fibrox handle that is highly texturized to prevent any slippage.
Its ergonomic design gives you comfort while working. This is a vital factor especially when you’re using a long blade. This knife is designed and manufactured by one of the most reputable companies in Switzerland, Victorinox.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- This knife is strong, sharp and sturdy.
- The patented Fibrox handle offers superior comfort, balance, and grip.
- It provides more length and heft.
- Some people feel awkward in using a 12-inch blade.
- It is more costly compared to other butcher knives.
2. Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory Butcher Knife
Ontario Knife 7111 has a simple design and constructed with quality materials. Best of all, it is very effective and affordable too. This is why it is highly endorsed by BBQ Pit Boys. This knife is made of 10-inch carbon steel blade with a full tang. If it gets dull then you can always re-sharpen it anytime. The hickory handle has the best ergonomics and gives you sufficient balance and grip.
- The high-carbon steel blade offers extreme sharpness and durability.
- It is made of outstanding materials and craftsmanship.
- This knife is made in the USA.
- Since the blade is not stainless then most likely it will get rusty if not properly maintained.
- Its total length of 15 inches might be too much for some users.
3. Dexter-Russell (S112-10PCP) – 10″ Butcher Knife
Dexter-Russell (S112-10PCP) has a pointy tip and an exceptionally sharp blade. It has low maintenance since it is made of stainless steel. The weight is remarkably great and has a nice balance. The Grip-Tex handle gives you an outstanding grip without worrying about slippage.
- The blade is hand-sharpened from the factory.
- It has an excellent edge retention.
- The weight and heft are just sufficient.
- This 10″ butcher knife might be a bit bigger when working on the grill.
4. Dick Ergogrip 10″ Butcher Knife
Since 1778, Friedrich Dick of Germany has been producing quality butcher knives. This knife can be used every day and still remains sharp even with minimal sharpening. The edge retention is great even in extreme usage. Its ergonomics are the best, making it very comfortable to hold.
- This knife is not difficult to sharpen.
- It uses a stainless steel blade with superb edge retention.
- Dick Ergogrip is durable, well balance and very comfortable even in extended use.
- Its length might not be ideal for a home grill.
5. Rada Cutlery R109 Old Fashioned Butcher Knife
If you need a butcher knife for home use only then Rada Cutlery R109 is the right option. It is very affordable and has an aluminum handle. This knife uses a 420 HC stainless steel blade that gives you adequate sharpness with excellent retention. The blade is a bit thinner compared to other professional butcher knives. This knife is designed for home use so its best for working on meat preparation. The metal handle is textured, providing you with an exceptional grip even if your hands are wet.
- Rada Cutlery R109 is very affordable.
- It is made in the USA and is covered by a lifetime warranty.
- The handle is made of metal yet it gives you an excellent grip.
- The handle is a bit short so it may not be suitable for people who have larger hands.
- It has a short, thin blade.
6. Wusthof Pro 10 Inch Butcher Knife
Mastering Wusthof Pro 10 Inch Butcher Knife may take some time. However, once you finally get the rhythm, it’ll make you wonder why you haven’t used it before. The handle is made of rubberized ABS polymer, giving you a tighter grip even when wet or bloody.
- The stamped blade is made of high-carbon steel to ensure that it can last longer.
- It can give you good speed, making it perfect for commercial kitchens.
- Its design takes some time to master.
7. Global GF-27 7-inch Heavyweight Butcher’s Knife
Typically, we do not recommend butcher knives which are below 8 inches. However, considering the heft and denseness of Global GF-27, bigger is not always better. This Japanese knife is made of CROMOVA stainless steel and has a longer taper that remains sharp all the time. This means that you can save time in sharpening it. This knife can save you some money because you only need to buy one.
- It has a seamless design so any harmful bacteria can’t hide anywhere.
- The blade’s metal is stain-free since it is made of 18% chromium.
- It is a bit expensive.
How to Sharpen a Butcher Knife
Using a dull butcher knife can be very dangerous. It will suddenly slide when you want to cut something. When it has stopped sliding, it will cut. When this happens, you need to sharpen it right away.
Step One: Choose your sharpening stone. Some stones are meant for wet or dry usage.
Step Two: One of the important things to remember when sharpening a blade is to maintain a consistent angle between the blade and the stone.
Step Three: Place your stone on the table in front of you and lay your knife flat on it at a 45-degree angle.
Step Four: Raise the blade away from the stone at a 20-degree angle.
Step Five: Draw the knife towards you while maintaining its contact with the stone.
Step Six: Apply a bit of pressure as you draw the edge across the stone. The pressure being applied will depend on the dullness of your blade. If it’s too dull then it requires more pressure.
Step Seven: Repeat this process on the other side of the knife.
Here are more tutorial on sharpening a butcher knife:
Recommended Addition to a Butcher Knife
NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves
These gloves are very durable since it has the highest level of cut resistant. In fact, it’s even stronger than leather. It can fit perfectly even if you have small or large hands. It gives you excellent grip especially when you’re using a butcher knife. NoCry gloves are lightweight yet it provides superior protection without feeling any bulkiness. Aside from using it in the kitchen when you are slicing, cutting, grating or peeling, you can also use it for wood carving, carpentry, and others. Cleaning is easy since it is machine washable and entirely safe to use on foods.
Always keep your butcher knife clean and every so often run it over with a knife sharpener so it can last longer. A butcher knife should be stored properly since it can be considered as a deadly weapon and can be used for assaulting others.