The kitchen gadgets in this article have been all tested in my kitchen and reviews are based on my personal experience. This article might include affiliate links to Amazon.com & Amazon.co.uk. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, but the cost to you is the same whether you purchase through the link or not.
What is a chefs knife? Also referred to as cook’s knife, this tool is usually used for cutting fruits, vegetables, and other ingredients used for food preparation. Generally, it is used for slicing and peeling, however, it can also be used for disjointing large cuts of meat.
Typically, it has a length of eight inches and a width of 1.5 inches. Nowadays, the lengths may vary from one model to another. Sometimes it can range from 6 to 14 inches.
Blades come in different shapes, the most common ones are German and French. The German style has a continuous and deep curve while the French style is straighter with a curve at the tip. A Japanese chefs knife is named as a “gyuto” which means “beef knife”. It looks the same with a French knife, however, a bit flatter. Today, a chefs knife is an all-purpose knife. This means that it is capable of doing various kitchen tasks such as mincing, chopping, slicing and disjointing.
The blades of a chefs knife can either be hot-forged or stamped. A hot-forged blade consists of numerous steps and it’s also costly. Generally, it also has a full tang. This means that the metal starts at the tip and ends at the handle. On the other hand, a stamped blade is trimmed directly from the steel, heat-treated, grounded, honed then polished.
The materials used for the blade of a chefs knife can either be carbon steel, stainless steel, ceramic or a lamination of two metals. Carbon steel blades are easier to sharpen, however, they are susceptible to stains and rust. Most professional chefs prefer carbon steel blades because of its sharpness.
Lower grade stainless steel knives are not as sharp as high-quality carbon steel blades. They are inexpensive but are prone to corrosion. Moreover, higher grade stainless steel blades are extensively sharp and have an outstanding edge retention. Most often, it can even outperform carbon steel blades.
Ceramic blades have a tendency to break when dropped. Also, they chip easily and needs extraordinary tools and skills to resharpen. Laminated blades are a combination of the best of each material.
Quick Overview Best Chef’s Knife Set
Chef’s Knife Set Review
1. Zelancio Cutlery Japanese Chef Knife Set
This set is composed of 67 Layer Damascus Steel Knives that gives strength and durability. They are the best-looking chef knives that feature wooden handles and non-stick surface. It contains every knife that you need for your food preparation including a chef’s knife, santoku knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, kitchen shears, and a knife sharpener. The Zelancio Cutlery can let you prepare food effortlessly without any hand fatigue.
- The Zelancio Damascus Steel Chef Knife Set has the best combination of beautiful craftsmanship and hardened steel.
- These knives are very versatile, making it perfect for any food preparation.
- The comfortable and contoured handles are designed with a professional chef in mind.
2. Cuisinairre 3-Piece Chef’s Knife Set
This set includes knives with razor-sharp edges. The handles are made of durable molded polypropylene which is easy to clean and much better than wooden handles. Wooden handle knives are not good for your health since they can accumulate bacteria. You can use a sharpening steel to restore its sharpness.
- These knives can retain its sharpness when used, cleaned and stored properly.
- All the knives are packed in a lovely gift box.
3. Slitzer Germany 22pc Chef’s Cutlery Set
This cutlery set features well-balanced knives which are ergonomically designed. They are constructed with a full tang so you can ensure durability and stability. It has all the chef’s knives that you need including poultry shears, utility knife, cleaver, sharpener, chef knife, boning knife, carving knife, meat slicer, long knife and others. It also includes a small gadget set that includes a decorating knife, oyster knife, cheese knife, lemon grater, potato peeler and others.
- The blades are corrosion resistant.
- All the knives are stored in an aluminum case.
- This set is covered with a limited lifetime warranty.
4. DEIK Knife Set
This chef knife set includes a sturdy briefcase as well as steak knives utensils. These knives are reliable since they are created from high carbon stainless steel. They are constructed with a full tang to give you a perfect balance. This set is composed of carving knife, meat knife, multi-purpose knife, 6 steak knives, chef knife, bread knife, boning knife, paring knife and others.
- All the knives and utensil are stored in a gorgeous briefcase that has two levels.
- The carrying case is a combination of wood and aluminum.
5. Ross Henery Professional Chefs Knife Set
This is a Japanese Style Knife Set that is perfect for any professional chef. All the knives are forged from stainless steel. The knives are covered with plastic to prevent it from cutting into the case while traveling. These knives are not only for professional chefs but also for any amateur cook, home cook or college students. These knives are dishwasher safe, however, soaking it in water for a long time is not recommended. You can refer to the guide for its proper cleaning and storage.
- All the knives are stylish and super sharp too.
- Includes a heavy-duty canvas carrying case which is very convenient for travelers.
- It comes with a 2-year manufacturer warranty.
6. Top Chef by Master Cutlery Chef Knife Set
This chef knife set can make you feel like a professional chef even when preparing a simple meal. These knives are officially used in one of Bravo’s top-rated TV programs, “Top Chef”. Each knife contains a laser etched Top Chef logo. These knives can resist rust, stain, and warp. This 5-piece Knife Set includes a 7-inch Santoku, 5-inch Santoku, sharpening tool, paring knife and a black carrying case.
- All kitchen knives are made of ice-tempered stainless steel blades which are accurately cut.
- They are ergonomically designed and have full steel non-slip handles.
- It has polished bolsters which can make you feel comfortable even on extended use.
- You can easily store the knives in the compartments of a stylish black bag.
7. VonShef 9 Piece Professional Kitchen Knife
This knife set is made from high-grade, high carbon stainless steel. They can hold their edge, making them perfect not only for professional use but also for domestic use. The handles provide excellent grip. Dishwashing is not recommended so you need to hand wash them.
- These knives can resist rust.
- It comes with 2-year manufacturer warranty.
- This is a high-end knife set that is created from high-quality materials.
8. Slitzer Germany 7pc Chef’s Cutlery Set
These knives have ergonomically designed handles to reduce hand fatigue. It has full tang construction, making it durable and long-lasting. This cutlery set includes bread knife, utility knife, chef’s knife, slicing knife, paring knife, and a sharpener.
- This chefs knife set is covered with a limited lifetime warranty.
- It comes with a storage case which is perfect when you are traveling.
9. Mercer Culinary Millennia 8-Piece Knife Set
This knife is easy to carry around. It has stamped construction, giving you extreme sharpness and functionality. This set includes a chef’s knife, boning knife, utility knife, Santoku, slicing knife, paring knife, a sharpener plus a durable knife storage. These knives can be washed by hand, using a mild soap.
- This knife set can resist rust, nick, and warp.
- The handles provide comfort while working.
- These knives can be used for cutting meat, vegetables, and bread.
10. Chef Essential 6 Piece Knife Set
This chef’s knife set contains knives with razor-sharp blades. It comes with comfortable, ergonomic handles. This collection is composed of a bread knife, utility knife, carving knife, chef knife, paring knife as well as a ceramic peeler. Slicing, cutting, and dicing can be done easily with its super sharp edges.
- All the knives are beautifully packed in a gift box.
- This is an amazing gift set idea for someone special.
- The blades are non-stick and can resist rust.
What To Look For In A Chefs Knife
A chefs knife that feels comfortable in your hand may feel awkward on someone else’s. The best chefs knife should be capable of dicing, slicing, mincing and chopping in a precise and effortless manner. When shopping for a perfect chefs knife, it is essential to recognize your personal preference and understand that one size doesn’t fit all. Simply put, one knife doesn’t fit everyone’s needs. Seeking for your ideal chef’s knife might take some time, however, you’ll feel satisfied once you’ve found it. Your chefs knife must make you feel inspired rather than afraid. If it doesn’t feel right then look for another one.
Look for the ideal weight. Some chefs believe that a hefty chefs knife is great since it can cut foods easily. While others prefer a lighter chefs knife since it can flow freely and maneuvering can be done easily. The bottom line is you’ll have to select the one that feels right for you.
Your chefs knife must have a perfect balance. Hold the knife’s handle and feel it in your hands. If it’s too uncomfortable then this is not the one for you. Sometimes it’s difficult to work if you have an unbalanced knife.
The most versatile size of a chefs knife is 8 inches. A longer blade that measures about 10 inches can do more, however, it can be a bit frightening too! On the contrary, a smaller blade provides more swiftness but might not be ideal when working with more volume or larger foods.
How to Use A Chef’s Knife
It is very important that you know the proper way of using a chefs knife. The thumb should grip the knife while the hand is wrapped around the bolster of the knife. This can give you more control over the blade. If you are a beginner then you’ll have to get used to it. On the opposite side, the index finger is completely wrapped around the blade. Be sure that the index finger and the thumb are opposite each other. Moreover, the remaining three fingers are being wrapped around the handle.
Your other hand is responsible for holding the food to prevent it from sliding from the cutting board. Make sure that your fingertips are kept away from the blade while maintaining a firm hold on the food. With practice, you can easily get used to this grip.
Here are more tips on How to use a Chef’s Knife properly: