Obviously, you can save a lot if you buy knife block sets instead of individual knives. However, due to the tremendous choices that are available in the market today, it’s hard to know where to start. Having a quality knife block set can provide you years of cooking while a poorly made knife block set can be very disappointing.
A good set of knives is one of the most important tools of a home cook or a professional chef. They’re an indispensable tool when preparing meals. With proper care and maintenance, a decent knife set will likely last for years. Some people prefer to buy individual pieces rather than the whole set. But actually, there’s nothing wrong in choosing a knife set. In fact, it can be an excellent gift to someone who is just starting to set up their kitchen. Moreover, if you don’t have the time to make a research on each knife individually then having knife block sets can be the easiest option. The important thing is you know what to look for. Here, we will help you find amazing knife block sets without breaking the bank.
Knife Block Sets Buying Guide
When it comes to knife sets, getting the leading brand does not really mean that you are getting the finest quality. Most often they sell second line products for a higher price because they believe that they can make a sale through its brand name. Another trick that you should be aware of is the slight variations in knife size. They’ll make it appear that you are getting numerous knives when in fact you are only getting a multitude of duplicates.
Before making a decision, you need to examine your cooking practices and consider the different types of knives that come with the set. Do you really need a steak knife or a fillet knife? If not then most likely it will just collect dust. The most commonly used knives are paring knife, serrated knife and chef’s knife. A paring knife is used for peeling and cutting foods while a serrated knife is used for cutting bread, fruits, and cakes. A chef’s knife is an all-around knife that can do several tasks such as slicing, mincing, dicing, and cutting.
Quick Overview Best Knife Blocks Sets
Wusthof Classic 8-Piece Knife Set
Consists of chef's, paring, utility, bread, and sandwich knives.
Wusthof Classic 3-Piece Knife Set
Composed of cook's, paring, and 6-inch utility knives
Wüsthof Classic Ikon 7-Piece Knife Set
Comes with paring, utility, bread and 8-Inch chef's knives.
Zwilling J.A. Henckels 19-Piece Knife Set
Handcrafted in Germany, dishwasher safe, sharpened edge
Ginsu 7108 Chikara 8-Piece Knife Set
Rust-resistant stainless steel blades, Hand Wash Only
Mercer Renaissance 6-Piece Knife Set
Triple-riveted, ergonomically designed handles, lifetime warranty
Messermeister San Moritz 9-Piece Knife Set
Handcrafted in Germany, Hand-polished edge, fully forged
Victorinox 8-Piece Knife Block Set
Consists of paring, boning, chef's, bread, and slicing knives
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Four Star 7-Piece Set
Composed of chef's, utility, serrated utility, and paring knives
Global G-835/WS – 6 Piece Knife Set
Stainless-steel handles with dimples for safe grip, Thin blades
Shun Classic 7-Piece Knife Block Set
Composed of chef's, bread, paring and utility knives
Beem Kyu Kabu Knife Block Set
Slip-resistant handles, hardened steel blades, slots in the base
Cuisinart 15-Piece Stainless Steel Knife Set
High carbon stainless steel blades, Lifetime Warranty
Knife Blocks Sets Review
1. Wusthof Classic 8-Piece Knife Set
This is one of the best professional knife block sets for your home. It includes eight kitchen knives along with a beautifully crafted oak block. The knives are sturdy since it is made of German steel blades. The handles are triple-riveted to minimize hand fatigue. It also comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It has the best ergonomics and workmanship which gives you an excellent balance.
- The blade is made of high-carbon steel which is stain resistant.
- These Wusthof Classic knives are created with a complete tang, therefore, the overall weight of the knife is equally distributed.
- This knife set is a great value for your money since it contains everything you need. It comes with a utility, chef, paring, bread and sandwich knives. It also includes kitchen shears, steel sharpening tool and a pretty solid oak knife block.
- German knives are softer compared to Japanese knives.
- In order to keep your knives in an excellent shape, avoid placing them in the dishwasher. After using, hand wash them and wipe them before storing.
2. Wusthof Classic 3-Piece Knife Set
This knife set is composed of the three most essential kitchen knives which are the paring, utility, and chef knife. The chef knife has an excellent balance. The Wusthof Classic kitchen knives are the best in the market. It is made of sturdy German steel that can last for generations. These knives have heft and sharp edges so you can easily slice your meat, fruits, and vegetables without too much effort.
- These three knives are exceptionally sharp so you’d better watch out for your fingers.
- The handles are triple-riveted, making it well-balanced and powerful.
3. Wüsthof Classic Ikon 7-Piece Knife Set
This is a classic style of knife set that includes the most useful knives for your kitchen. It also includes a steel for sharpening, kitchen shears, and a beautiful walnut block. These sharp and durable knives can definitely last for years. When it comes to performance, durability, and cost, this is the best knife block sets that can suit your needs.
- This set is composed of very sharp stainless steel blades.
- These knives are hefty enough, making them capable of tackling tough vegetables.
- The handles have a nice grip and very comfortable to hold too.
4. Zwilling J.A. Henckels 19-Piece Knife Set
If you adore German knife block sets then you should not miss this valuable knife block sets. The Henckels’ kitchen knives are best known for its quality. Although they come in various ranges to choose from, this 19-Piece Knife Block Set belongs to the medium range. These stamped knives are extremely sharp and its edges can last for years. You have to be very careful when you hand wash them.
- The handles feature three rivets as well as a full tang.
- The blades are made of high-carbon no-stain steel which is laser-sharpened, giving you a sturdy edge all the time.
- It is lighter than the others since it does not include bolsters.
5. Ginsu 7108 Chikara 8-Piece Knife Set
This is one of the most affordable knife block sets. With this amazing set of Japanese knives, anybody can afford to cook a healthy meal for themselves. This set incorporates a chef’s knife, utility knives, Santoku, paring knives, shears and a honing rod. All the knives are neatly arranged in a lovely bamboo knife block.
- This is one of the best cheap kitchen knife block sets for people who only cook during their spare time.
- Its price is quite surprising since most forged kitchen knives are usually costly.
- It uses stainless steel blades instead of carbon steel, making it cheaper.
- Since this product is Japanese made then you can always guarantee that it is beautifully made.
6. Mercer Culinary Renaissance 6-Piece Knife Set
This is one of the most stylish knife block sets. These German blades are safely secured in a rectangular block of glass. Additionally, the handles are triple riveted, making it more flamboyant. This kitchen knife block sets can quickly grab attention from your dinner guests. It can add some glamor to your kitchen countertop. However, Mercer Culinary is not just about looks. These forged blades are made of high-quality steel with sharp edges and exceptional balance.
- The knives are made of high-carbon steel. They can endure stain, corrosion, discoloration, and rust.
- It is constructed with a full tang for superior strength and durability.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
7. Messermeister San Moritz 9-Piece Knife Set
The Messermeister contains a chef’s knife, a santoku, a utility knife, a utility cutter, a bread knife, a paring knife, kitchen shears, a honing steel plus a wooden knife block with 16 slots which permits you to add more knives. This is the perfect knife block sets for your various kitchen tasks.
- These knives have an elite edge and handcrafted in Germany.
- It comes with 16 slots wooden knife block.
8. Victorinox 8-Piece Knife Block Set
The major highlight of this knife block sets is the 8″ chef’s knife which is considered as the “Swiss Classic”. All the knives are created from stamped high-carbon stainless steel and handcrafted in Switzerland. A special process is applied to the steel to make it durable and guarantee that is can be sharpened from time to time.
- The knives are created with a full tang, giving them a fine balance. They are lightweight yet strong and durable.
- The handles are finely molded for superior grip and comfort.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
9. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Four Star 7-Piece Set
The Four Star knife block sets is a fully featured knife set that comes with a wooden knife block. It comes with a chef’s knife, a paring knife, a sharpening steel, a serrated utility knife as well as a non-serrated knife. With regards to its price, the Four Star line is a mid-range set. This set includes the basic kitchen knives that are very useful for your day to day tasks.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Handcrafted in Germany.
- The knives are very sharp and sharpening can be done easily with the use of a honing steel.
- The handles are very comfy since they are well-shaped.
10. Global G-835/WS – 6 Piece Knife Set
This is a sophisticated design from one of the most renowned manufacturers of Japanese knives. The knives are constructed in a single piece. They have a sleek design with an outstanding cutting performance. This knife block set is composed of a chef’s knife, bread knife, carving knife, paring knife and a utility knife. Best of all it includes a stylish, modern stainless steel knife block that can make your kitchen countertop look classy.
- These Western-style knives are grounded at the steep for impressive sharpness.
- The stainless-steel handles have unique dimples, giving you a comfortable grip.
- They are lightweight and lessens hand fatigue when used extensively.
11. Shun Classic 7-Piece Knife Block Set
This classic set is composed of a chef’s knife, a utility knife, a bread knife, a paring knife along with kitchen shears and a honing steel. All the knives are made of VG-Max steel and Damascus-clad blades. VG-Max provides excellent sharpness as well as edge preservation. Moreover, the Damascus stainless steel protects and enhances stain resistance.
- The knives are thinner, lighter, sharper and long-lasting.
- The chef’s knife is an excellent multi-tasking tool.
- The handles are made of tough and sturdy Pakka wood.
12. Beem Kyu Kabu Knife Set
All the knives in this set are coated with titanium reinforced ceramic. Simply put, they are not only sharp on first use but remains sharp even after recurrent use. The handles are durable and slip resistant too, so accidents can be avoided.
- It comes with a lacquered knife block that includes a guard plate as well as some slots at the bottom. This is an amazing feature since it can impede any bacteria build-up.
- The knives are created from hardened steel.
- The handles are slip-resistance and comfortably shaped.
13. Cuisinart 15-Piece Stainless Steel Knife Set
Cuisinart is a well-known maker of high-quality kitchen accouterments which are offered at reasonable prices. This set consists of a slicing, knife, a chef’s knife, santoku knife, paring knife, serrated utility knife, multi-purpose shears, sharpening steel and others.
- The knives are ergonomically designed yet it looks chic and contemporary.
- They are constructed from high carbon stainless steel.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
Knife Block Sets Vs Single Knives
Knives can be bought separately or as a set. Both of these methods has its pros and cons. Buying knife block sets usually includes a knife block, kitchen shears, and a honing tool. It is also much cheaper than purchasing them separately. All the knives have similar designs and handles, making it look attractive. However, there is a tendency that you may not use all the knives in the set.
By choosing to buy kitchen knives separately, you’ll get a chance to purchase the ones that you only need. You can buy additional knives only when you require them. The disadvantage is you need to look for a suitable knife block for storing your collection of knives. Both of these methods will greatly depend on your personal preference. It will also depend on your budget. Butcher knives are also excellent for cutting meat. You can quickly get the job done by constantly sharpening your knife.