I love eating rice and cook it often to accompany our main dishes, but I always end up with either boiled over pot, burned bottom of my pot or rice that’s quite not done. The only time when I get it just about right is if I stand next to the boiling rice pot, constantly watching it to make sure it’s not overboiling or burning!
I mentioned this to my friend, who was first staring at me in disbelieve and then suggested to check out ‘instant pot’, which as she explained it’s like a supercharged pressure cooker only much quicker and safer to use. Since watching rice to boil is not exactly a fun way to spend your evenings, I thought I’d give it a try!
I borrowed my friend’s instant pot, because I wanted to try it before I bought my own. There are many types of instant pots (or instapots) available, so I read quite a few instapot reviews because I wanted to make sure I buy the right one.
I was really surprised that even my first batch of rice came out so tasty, fluffy and soft! I really didn’t expect that! Although cooking rice in instant pot is much easier than in a normal pot, I’ve picked up a few tips on how to get that perfect rice every time.
Cooking rice in instant pot is much quicker, and depending on your instant pot this might take anything from 5-10 minutes with extra 10 minutes for letting the rice to stand in the instant pot to finish the cooking process.
If you find that your rice is sticking to the instant pot, just brush the inside of the instant pot with vegetable oil before adding your rice. Make sure that there is enough water because rice expands as it cooks.
The rice recipe below is enough for two people, but if you have a small appetite, this could make up easily four portions. If you have any leftovers, just make sure that you put it in the fridge once it’s cooled down and eat it within 24 hrs.
Once or twice I had a problem with my rice going a bit too mushy, but I think that was because I added too much water in.
So, here is my favourite vegetable rice recipe, which can be served with any meat or just on its own for a quick snack. This is really versatile recipe as you can easily swap around the spices, add garlic or leave out the onion and use different vegetables to make up a different dish every time.
And the best thing is that I don’t need to scrub burned pots at the end of it!
Instant Pot Vegetable Rice Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 small red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika spice
- 1/2 tsp garam masala or turmeric spice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- First of all, switch your instant pot on 'saute' (or similar function depending on your make)
- Add the vegetable oil and mix with the spices and salt first before adding finely chopped onion.
- Gently stir until the onions start to be 'see-through' and they are much lighter in colour.
- Add water and rice and stir.
- Add the frozen vegetables on top of the rice and water, but don't mix them in.
- Close the lid and set the instant pot function to 'rice' (check your manufactures guide)
- Serve as side to your main meal.