An amazing mixed paella recipe with chicken thighs, chorizo, prawns & clams. Great to prepare for a family gathering or an informal lunch. Like with other paella recipes, if you don’t have a particular ingredient you can easily swap it around for something you have in your kitchen cupboard or fridge.
Mixed Paella Recipe
- 30 threads saffron chrushed
- 4 thights chicken free range
- 10 large shrimps peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 chorizo
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tomatoes minced or grated
- 1 onion minced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups short-grain rice
- 1 red pepper
- 12 clams
- Put saffron and 1⁄4 cup hot water in a small bowl; let sit for 15 minutes.
- Season chicken and shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 16″–18″ paella pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, shrimp, and chorizo and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp to a plate, leaving the meats in pan.
- Add paprika, garlic, tomatoes, and onions to pan and cook, stirring often, until onions soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add reserved saffron mixture and broth, season with salt, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Sprinkle in rice, distribute evenly with a spoon, and add peppers. Cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 12-15 minutes. (If your pan is larger than the burner, rotate it every two minutes so different parts are over the heat and the rice cooks evenly.)
- Reduce heat to low, add reserved shrimp, and nestle in clams hinge side down; cook, without stirring, until clams have opened and rice has absorbed the liquid and is al dente, 5–10 minutes more.
- Turn heat to high for 1-2 minutes to create the socarrat (the rice that gets crunchy and forms a crust at the bottom of the pan).
- Remove pan from heat, cover with aluminum foil, and let sit for 5 minutes before enjoying.